NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A gas explosion at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center caused the evacuation of over 5,000 guests Tuesday night, but no injuries were reported and guests were allowed back inside early today.
Capt. Ken Walburn of the Nashville Fire Department said the explosion occurred at around 8:15 p.m. in the convention center portion of the hotel away from guest rooms.
He said it appeared that a gas leak was ignited inside a mechanical room on the first floor, causing significant damage to an escalator, walls and ceiling. He said the blast was so strong it damaged ceiling tiles on the third floor of the convention center.